Thursday, April 30, 2009

Vietnamese Refugee Day

Dear Congressman Anh "Joseph" Cao:

First and foremost, I would like to congratulate you on your many accomplishments this year. Not only are the highest ranked Vietnamese American elected official and first Vietnamese American elected to service in our fine country's Congress, you are a Republican that has been elected to represent a predominantly Democratic district of Louisiana.

In fact, you’re the first Republican to be elected to represent the Second District of Louisiana since 1891.

While some may argue that your victory only occurred due to very rare circumstances, such as running against a Democratic candidate marred by controversy and low voter turn out as a result of Hurricane Gustav, I still take great pride that someone who is sometimes called a community organizer, has advocated for the rights of immigrants and refugees, and whose family was also torn apart by the war in Southeast Asia, has accomplished such things.

I only wish that you were able to see these connections between you and me that I see so clearly.

I actually had the amazing opportunity to meet you in March at the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus (CAPAC) event to welcome newly elected Asian and Pacific Americans to CAPAC. I commend your effort to be bi-partisan and join a heavily Democratic Caucus – making CAPAC the only bi-partisan Congressional caucus based on race.

When you admitted that you “may be a closet Democrat,” I wished you were telling the truth instead of just cracking a joke.

I know you’ve been faced with some obstacles since joining office, especially with concerns from your constituents regarding the economic stimulus package, but I’m glad that you are trying to build those bridges. I mean, seeing that your first piece of legislation passed unanimously, I guess you can say that you’ve definitely build some bi-partisan bridges in Congress.

However, how about those bridges that exist in your district? Does this piece of legislation address the concerns of your constituents in your district?

I think voting for the economic stimulus package might have.

How about those bridges that exist in our community?

I can take a hint. You’ve gone and drawn the line very clearly between you and me.

Regardless, I’m happy to see that you’re using your POWER – as the first Vietnamese American to serve in the US Congress – and PRIVILEGE – as a product of the main Viet Nam War and not just a product of one of the satellite wars – to empower and bring voice to YOUR community.

I only hope that one day… I will be able to have the same power and privilege to do something as honorable as H.Res. 342.

However, when I say similar, I mean similarly honorable but not similarly narrow, exclusive, self-centered, and self-serving.

Love&Solidarity,
Monica

2 comments:

  1. As a Vietnamese American/Canadian, I initially was very proud that such a day was officially created to recognize the unique history and experiences of my people. But after much thought was given, I found myself seeing the relevance of this "Vietnamese Refugee Day" doing more harm than good. The intent of the resolution was to bring to light the strength and courage that it took for people like my parents to overcome being displaced. The intent does hold true in the words that are used in the resolution, but I believe that by having it be so specific to the Vietnamese community, it further displaces us from other communities that share a similar experience as refugees. Let us not forgot the other Southeast Asian groups that were involved in the War, nor other refugee groups such as Somalians, Cubans, etc.

    Often times we as people of color, are already separated by ignorance, bigotry, and intolerance. This theme of exclusion is very apparent in the books we read, the films we watch and the physical spaces that we occupy. Why should we further exclude ourselves from each other, when there is clear evidence that WE as refugee share such a rich and similar history? I would have loved to have read in school about how different groups of people with similar backgrounds came together to overcome adversity. The strength that it took for my parents to survive was not found in being isolated or displaced, but rather it was found from being around others that also could empathize with each other.

    Had this resolution been about all refugees, I believe it would have helped bridge the divide between various refugee groups and allow for true progress to occur. My intent for writing such a response was not of ill will towards Congressman Cao as a person nor his office, but rather it was to hopefully shed more light on the importance of building a complete community. The possibilities are endless in terms of what we can do together. I have faith in the leadership of the community and that we will always come together in our times of need and also share in the smiles of our times of greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I only hope that one day… I will be able to have the same power and privilege to do something as honorable as H.Res. 342."

    I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete