Monday, May 11, 2009

"How to Get to College" Posters in Hmong and Vietnamese


There have been numerous occasions where I find myself asking why did I go to college at bougie-ass and hella exclusive Berkeley for college.

This is one of those times.

Don’t get me wrong.

I recognize the privilege I had to be able to go to Berkeley
I recognize the privilege I had to be able to afford to apply to the UC system and the time I had to write three essays for the application
I recognize the privilege I had to be able to take the SAT I, ACT, and SAT II
I recognize the privilege I had in being put into Seminar and the “College Track”
I recognize the privilege I had to have two parents who both full-time and oftentimes over time and weekends to make sure I didn’t have to work until my senior year in high school.

I recognize all these privileges and my Berkeley degree definitely has opened several doors for me.

However, there have been many times in which I find myself asking, not only why did I go to a UC Berkeley for college… but more importantly, why are there so few of ME here? Why was it so hard for ME and people like ME to get here? Is this university made for me? Who is this university made for?

When we chant, “Who’s University?” and respond with, “OUR UNIVERSITY”… are they listening?

Is it that we’re not chanting loud enough? Is it because we’re not chanting long enough?

I don’t think that’s the case at all.

Anyway, today, one of my co-workers sent this to me and I found myself asking that question, why did I go to college at bougie-ass and hella exclusive Berkeley for college.

I think this reminds of the Count Me In Campaign and the differences between the CSUs and UCs in California.

While the CSUs already had disaggregated data, it took a coalition of UC students to fight for disaggregated data. While framed as a campaign to create a more inclusive campus by allowing students already admitted to correctly identify themselves, the Count Me In Campaign had many other purposes such as being able to see more clearly who is applying to the UCs and who is GETTING IN to the UCs. This information would definitely be helpful for outreach purposes.

While similar in essence, these posters by the CSU about “How to Get into College” arguably brings this issue of inclusiveness it to the next level. While disaggregating admissions data and having “How to Get into College” posters are important because it recognize our communities and the diversity within the “AAPI” group… but I think these “How to Get into College” posters can also be seen as the CSU system taking an active role in not just counting but RECRUITING students from particular backgrounds too.

While the Count Me In Campaign told us, “Yes, you are a student here” and “Yes, you have the right to be counted”… these posters somewhat say, “Yes, you are a California” and “Yes, you have the right to go to this school too!”

Both are necessary and work hand in hand and it’s nice to see that CSU recognizes the Hmong community.

Now, let’s fight to get these posters in Khmer, Lao, and Mien too!

Then, let’s fight to get these posters for the UC system too!

----

If you or someone you know would like to work on the campaign to advocate for these posters in more Southeast Asian languages, please contact us at fishsauce@googlegroups.com

1 comment:

  1. USC needs to disaggregate its data.
    i think we had like 20 incoming viet students, and next to none SEA students on a campus with more than 20% asians. pretty sad for a large so cal campus.

    ReplyDelete